10.25.2007

She's back!

Hello all, I'm sorry to have been gone so long. I've gotten quite busy
over the last couple weeks, and I really hadn't had the time to put
together a proper post. Never fear, topics for my upcoming postings are
always in the back of my mind.

Which brings me to this: has anyone ever noticed that mixing two
products or using one right after another can yield some undesirable
results?

I always read through the product reviews on Nappturality.com and
Motowngirl.com quite religiously, and I usually end up trying the most
popular products for myself. A couple weeks ago, I got my hands on a
bottle of ic Polishing Gel (with Sparkelites!) and added it to my daily
routine, (which I will elaborate on later). This gel is not tacky or
sticky, and it contains glycerine-so it draws moisture instead of taking
it away. The first time I used this gel I really liked the shine that it
gave as I smoothed down the top of my head and my edges. The second
time, though, was another story. Right after applying Cantu Leave-In
Conditioning Cream to wet hair, I slicked the ic Gel onto my top as
usual. The two products together changed to this yucky, gummy
consistency. "Maybe I can brush this in," I thought. Wrong! The sticky
mixture only collected into little gray balls on the strands of my hair
and in the bristles of my brush. What a mess! I was in a rush to get to
a meeting, so I had to quickly rinse the top of my head and improvise
with a scarf 'do.

I eventually figured out the problem was the combination of the two and
made a mental note not to use those products in conjuction. A few days
later, I was getting ready yet again, and I wanted that wet-wave look
that I get when using the ic Gel. So, I grabbed it and some Garnier
Leave-In Conditioner to pull my hair into a high puff. Again, I ended up
with the same grayish-goo in my hair! With no time to rinse, I had to
cover it up with a hat. Crap!

My observation is that there is an ingredient in the creamy leave-ins
that reacts with an ingredient in the ic Gel and forms a completely
different compound. What those ingredients are, I haven't the slightest
idea. The ic Gel DOES work well with Elasta QP Mango Butter, Hollywood
Beauty Olive Creme Hairdress, and Shea butter. Beware the gray goo!

This brings me to my next topic: Hollywood Beauty Olive Creme Hairdress.
I love this product! I'm going to let you know all about my experience
with it. It is a wonderful moisturizer and styling product. High on the
list of ingredients is water, olive oil, and various extracts. This
product also contains no P/MO, which is always a huge plus+++! It has
the consistency of a very smooth and satiny cold cream. When rubbed
betwwen the hands, it warms to body heat and the consistency becomes
more like hand lotion. It defines curls quite well and keeps the hair
moisturized and soft. It doesn't leave the hair dull or leave a heavy
residue, as long as you don't use blobs and gobs of it. The fragrance is
unique and pleasant, not overpowering at all. Reasonably priced, I
picked up a 7.5 oz jar for about $3.50. The blurb on the back mentions
that after using the creme, you'll notice softer fingertips and
cuticles. This is true, not a bad bonus. Definitely try this out for
yourself and leave a comment letting us know what you think.

Have good days,

BrightTrotter
The Trotter is bright (:Þ)

3 comments:

Afrodite said...

Have you ever used any ORS Olive Oil products?

BrightTrotter said...

The only ORS product I've used, so far, is the Olive Creme. I've seen Carrot Oil and Shea Butter Cremes as well. I've noticed some bottles of oils, but I think I may have passed them up because I saw P/MO, can't really remember

BrightTrotter said...

I got a sample of the ORS Hair Mayonnaise. It wasn't bad at all! Let me know if you try it.