9.29.2007

Gotta Use Protection!


Hey all, how's it going?


I have a concern. I've noticed some breakage at the top of my head and also while detangling. I really need to commit to some protective styles. Since early July, I've worn my hair back in a headband. About 3 months later and I'm seeing frazzled short hairs where they weren't before. I would hate to have grown my hair this long and then have it break off!


Since winter is approaching, and wash 'n gos aren't going to do well with the harsh St. Louis cold, I've gotta learn some protective styles. I'm thinking of keeping my hair in a sew-in weave for the next few months, but I haven't decided. Well, my pocketbook has already. Sh!t gets runny when your money is funny, LOL! (My grandma said that once and I thought that was hilarious!). Anyway, I've gotten much better at my flat-twists. I just don't know where to start. Half twists in the front and puff in the back? Flat-twists on one side, twists on the other, bantu knots in the back? A french braid? Afro puffs? My hair is so versatile...


I remember a time when my grandmother took me to a salon that had just opened in our neighborhood. It was run by a middle-aged beautician, and she was a unique individual. I remember her being very talkative and kinda weird. She had these crazy ideas and theories about everything, entertaining if nothing else. I remember her talking with my granny and me about all the things our hair can do. It can be straight one day, in braids the next, curly a flowing, majestic in a 'fro. So thick you can't run a hand through it to slipping through your fingers with the silkiest ease. I never thought of my hair that way. I was glad to have hair that I could do anything with, rather than be stuck with the same old straight hair everyday. Unfortunately, she talked my granny into letting me have a texturizer, which took my versatility away.


I'm off to research some fotki albums, wish me luck!

No comments: